Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility

Engineer Department

Andrew McGuire P.E. - Keokuk County Engineer

1301 East Jackson Street

Sigourney, Iowa 52591

Secondary Roads

Andrew J McGuire, P.E. Keokuk County Engineer

Office and Maintenance Facility

1301 East Jackson St
Sigourney, IA  52591

Phone: 641-622-2610
Fax: 641-622-3637


Monday thru Friday (7:00am - 3:30pm) (office closed 11:30 to Noon for lunch)


Casey Clarahan - Assistant to the Engineer
Doug Klett - Maintenance Superintendent
Ruth Manchester - Administrative Assistant, Workman's Compensation Coordinator
Jared Hammen - General Working Foreman
Danny Yarkosky - General Working Shop Foreman

Highway Department Responsibility

The Keokuk County is responsible for maintaining, rehabilitating and reconstructing

  • 913 miles of secondary roads consisting of:
    • 98 miles of Class "B" (dirt) roads
    • 715 miles of Class "A" (gravel) roads
    • 100 miles of paved roads
    • 170 bridges, and literally thousands of drainage crossings, signs, and roadside ditches within the county road right-of-way.

By state law, the Keokuk County Board of Supervisors is required to employ one or more licensed civil engineers to serve as County Engineer.  The Board of Supervisors establishes policies and is to provide adequate funding to properly maintain the secondary road system.

The County Engineer serves as department head for the Keokuk County Secondary Roads Department.  The County Engineer determines and employs methods, personnel, and equipment necessary to maintain the secondary road system pursuant to Board policy, sound engineering judgment, and Iowa Code requirements.  All construction and maintenance work on the secondary road system is to be performed under the County Engineer's direction.

A budget and 5 year construction program are prepared by the County Engineer, subject to adoption by the Board of Supervisors and approval by the Iowa Department of Transportation.

Engineer Asset Database

GPS Monument Map
Monument Records
Monument Site Pictures
Network Adjustment Report
Keokuk PT Data (Excel)


#9 - Establishing the Policy and Level of Service in respect to clearance of snow or ice and maintenance of county roads in the winter months.

#14 - Establishing the Area Service System B Road Classification.

#15 - Establishing Road and Bridge standards for county roads, requirements for reclassification of Area Service Roads and requirements for additions to the Area Service System.

Useful Links

Iowa DOT Weather View
Iowa Winter Road Conditions
Iowa DOT Motor Vehicle Division

Policies and Permits

Adopt-A-Highway Information Application Sign Request

Entrances and Driveways

Permit $100.00 Permit Fee
Tile Line Crossings and Outlets Permit $25.00 Permit Fee
Dust Control Permit              Notice           Applicator Information $25.00 Permit Fee
Work in County Right of Way Permit  
E911 Address Request    
Utility Permit Regulations Permit  
Damage to Level B Roads    
Ditching Policy    

DOT All Systems Permit


For questions on DOT All Systems Permits, call 515-237-3268

Pricing depends on loads andsingle/annual

Raw Forest Application Application  
Flood Plain Development Ordinance #18 Flood Plain Deveopment Ordinance #38 Flood Plain Development Permit

Map of Bridges with Weight Restrictions


     Full Non-Discrimination Statement

USDA prohibits discrimination in all its programs and activities on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, age, reprisal or retaliation for prior civil rights activity. (Not all prohibited bases apply to all programs.)

Recipients are required to notify applicants with disabilities and Limited English Proficiency (LEP) persons of their right to free language assistance and accommodations and provide free language assistance and accommodations upon request.

To file a program discrimination complaint, complete the USDA Program Discrimination Complaint Form, AD-3027, found online at filing cust.html and at any USDA office or write a letter addressed to USDA and provide in the letter all of the information requested in the form. To request a copy of the complaint form, call (866) 632-9992. Submit your completed form or letter to USDA by: mail: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Office of the Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue, SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410; fax:

(202) 690-7442; or email:

This institution is an equal opportunity provider.

*****     Employmeent Application     *****